Here are the key points of the military statement made on TV a few moments ago:
- President Omar al-Bashir will be arrested and taken to a safe place
- There will be a three-month state of emergency
- The military will supervise a two-year transition period
- A military transitional council will be established to supervise the period of transition, details of that council will be made in a later statement
- The 2005 constitution will be cancelled
In addition the Defence Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf insisted that human rights will be observed and made a plea that citizens tolerate security measures that will be implemented.